About Us

Friday, February 12, 2016

Sherri's Pesto Recipe

I'm in full on garden planning mode. One of the things I love is Basil!! We're starting to run low on our stash of Pesto so I'm making plans for make more over the summer.

This is a great gift, easy if you have to bring a side to a party or an easy dinner (we like to put ours with chicken and pasta). If you like Pesto, I think you'll LOVE this recipe!



Sherri's Pesto Recipe


First, I plant LOTS of basil in the spring- at least 12 plants.


Next, we wait until it grows enough to harvest. We always hope for about 3 harvests per year.


Finally, it’s time to harvest and make pesto!



I go to Sam’s to buy all of my additional ingredients in bulk. Yes, we make that much! It’s our goal to make at least 12 pints, plus enough for gifts.



Ingredients, which I buy from Sam’s: 
big bag of Walnuts, 2 lb bag of Pecorino Romano grated cheese, 24 oz. container of shredded Parmesan, 3 lb container of Garlic (we use lots of garlic for lots of things)



Additional ingredient: salt



I mix everything up in my Blendtec blender. After many trial and errors, I have finally figured out the perfect order to put ingredients in the blender for the best blending. Basically this magical order to perfect blending is oil/walnuts, basil, cheeses/garlic/salt. If you’re wondering, yes, I’m a Virgo.



1 C. Olive Oil


2/3 C. Walnuts


4 C Basil


1/2 C. Parmesan


1/2 C. Pecorino Romano


4-6 garlic cloves


Salt to taste- approx. 1 t



Blend on the “sauces/dips” setting. Makes 1 pint. We freeze ours in glass pint jars we’ve either saved or glass canning jars.


No comments:

Post a Comment